Programming and other useless stuff: Restart

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Restart

Hi,

although I have this account since 2006, I did not really post any entries. Hopefully this will change since I would like to share some of my experiences I make during the development of my spare time applications and games.

To give you some backstory: I've been in games business since 12 years now. Throughout this time span I was a simple programmer, translator (german->french), senior developer, lead developer, project manager, head of technology and freelance developer. I had the fortune to work with some of the best German game developers and some of the most talented German graphic and sound artists you might encounter. It was (mostly) a pleasure working with them although I managed to upset one person to a point he won't even talk with me anymore (at least one of whom I know).

The game genres I worked on were wide spread: from turn based strategy games through sports games up to casual games. The only thing I never programmed was an FPS.

In the recent years I sometimes turned away from game development to jump into the area which is called "serious applications" by the game developers. In fact, I made some quite interesting experiences there. I had the chance to contribute to the research and development of embedded hardware, wrote (mostly as a sole developer) the voice recognition, client-server based picking solution for one of the biggest spare part warehouses of Europe and contributed and still contribute to the development of a business application for a German music label and the planning and maintenance of an industrial CAD software.

Some month ago I published my own lib called SSCXML which is the first publicly available implementation of the SCXML draft (state chart XML) by the W3C.

In my spare time I started working on a small game called "Prohibition". It'll be a turn-based strategy game where the player must lead a police squad in it's fight against organized crime in the early 20th century. Since I'm working all alone on this project, progress is slow. I also tend to research and experience some programming ideas I have with this project. The game itself will be fully multiplayer targeted. Currently I'm working on the very base of the game: network layer, client-server structure, object management, ...

I think I'll post some of the things I do in this project in this blog :)

Have fun,
Stefan

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stefan,

I'm based in Tokyo and I am working on a project using Scxml to implement state machines. I find your SSCXML very interesting. And I might suggest to my client to use SSCXML. Do you have plans on supporting the latest version of Scxml?

Hope to read more about SSCXML as well as Scxml itself.

Mervin Concepcion

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home