Programming and other useless stuff: I had to...

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I had to...

print this to a sheet of paper and stick it above my desk. It's a sentence John Carmack said in this years Quakecon8: "[...] there's a very finite amount of time, and you just can't do everything, so you really have to prioritize and pick the things that you want to do, that you're going to be good at, where you're going to make a difference."

This resume quite effectively my current state: SO much things I would like to do, so little time to actually realize them.

I have so much different ideas of projects and what I would like to do that it's true that I have to make a choice between all this. I think I know what I'm good at (does one really know what he's good at?) and what my business partners appreciate. I like to think of myself being a very good all round-programmer. At least, that's what I've been told and that's where people are seeking my expertize. In a recent (game development) project the lead programmer pushed me from one area of expertize to another one: core development, AI, network, logic, ... Mostly I've done preparation work; making things usable for the other programmers. I was quite astonished when I was assigned being the lead for a group of 5 AI programmers. It's quite an unusual position for a freelance programmer on a project.

Along the above mentioned statement by John Carmack I like this phrase (I can't remember who originally said it): "Nothing is impossible, it's just a matter of time and money." That's what I mostly stick to. There's always a solution or a compromise for a problem. I like to dig into development problems (of whatever kind) and to try to find the "right" solution to the problem. I like easy-to-use solutions. Those, where only a few lines of code empower you to achieve a lot of things. I also like the idea of plug-in technology and working with interfaces. But this is not always the right solution, especially if your project is on a tight schedule and it's more important to finish things (and make them work) rather than make them reusable.

Well... we'll see what life brings on :)

Have fun,
Stefan

PS: Ah yes... I almost forgot: I'll marry the woman I'm with since 16 years now on august the 23rd...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home