Programming and other useless stuff: Nothing really new...

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Nothing really new...

No, I didn't forget to post an entry yesterday. I didn't have any time. My wife's computer didn't want to boot normally. It always freezed in the middle of the boot splash screen. I had some trouble making the save mode to work but finally, after almost 10 hours of work, research in the internet, trying and crying, the machine booted normally at 1:20 am.

As you can imagine, I didn't have much time to work on Prohibition. Nevertheless, I did some research for virtual server hostings. In fact, I would like to have a virtual server somewhere to host one or more of Prohibitions Server software in the future. If you tell me, that this is a little bit early, then you're probably right. But if I want to stick to my current plans for the game, I have to be sure that I can implement the client/server structure as I want it. Currently, the server software is programmed under Win32. There are some virtual server plans for Windows, but I have to check, if they fit my needs.

Basically, my games structure should look like this: There's one matchmaking/game server (or main server if you prefer) which holds a list of all public games that are going to start. People can connect to that first server, see the game list, download updates or new maps. Once they have selected a game, the main server connection is dropped to connect to the player hosting the game.

That's the plan... we'll see, if I can get so far :)

And for anyone wondering, if this is a game, one would have to pay for... I don't know... really. In fact, I don't program this game to gain money. I do it, because I want to have fun with it. I have several other contracts which bring in the money I need. And I think that I can afford spending a little bit of money for things like the server etc.

That said... if anyone is interesting in helping out (on a non-paid basis), I'll appreciate any graphic artist willing to make some scribbles for the game style. Either PM me or send me an email to "maton at sidema dot be".

Have fun,
Stefan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home