Programming and other useless stuff: Migrating domains and SSCXML

Friday, September 05, 2008

Migrating domains and SSCXML

Well... I'm currently in the middle of migrating all my domains from a shared hoster to a VSP. In fact, my hoster restricted a lot of things which were fine before. IE. the memory usage of processes is very low. So low, that even tools like image galleries that have been installed through fantastico will not be able to add a simple image.

That and some other considerations led me to search for a VPS. I came across a lot of sites and finally I found a VPS plan that was ok for me: not too expensive while still having enough features for my current needs. I took the lowest plan offered by Geekstorage. I talked with one of my friends who's already set up some VPS and has a lot of experience with Linux. So I spent most of my time today learning about VPS and Linux, httpd setup and all those things.

I must say that I'm happy with the choice I made although I pay like 10 times what I paid before. The support guys of geekstorage replied quickly (max. 2h although I posted my tickets in the middle of the day... in Europe). Not that I had any problem... just questions about setups and how to do things. I'll tell you more once I have more experience with these guys :)

I worked on a new release of SSCXML yesterday. Added some keywords to replace the & and > and < signs. Using those straightforward in condition strings within XML is no valid XML. You'ld have to write "& a m p ;" for an & (Sorry... had to put spaces between letters). So I added keywords which can be used by the users to replace things like &&, <= or >= (keywords are "and", "le" and "ge"). A "(a<5)&&(b>10)" would become "(a lt 5) and (b gt 10)". As readable and easy to retain as C/C++ code :)

So, SSCXML is V1.04 now...

Have fun,
Stefan

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home