Programming and other useless stuff: Nothing special... modifiers...

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Nothing special... modifiers...

Nothing really special happened today. I spent most time doing some work at my home, cooking and doing some shopping.

Programming side, I did nothing. In fact, I only touched my computer to take a look at my emails.

Nevertheless I've been thinking about the modifiers in my game. Modifiers can be be applied to character values, item values or anything that can be altered through access functions. An item that gives a "Strength+5" buff, would have an modifier attached to itself, which will be applied to the entity to which the item is attached (equipped). The modifier specifies the "Strength" as a target for a "+5" modification.

Now, since I want to have modifiers that can ie. alter a valid only for a certain amount of time, the idea is that modifiers are set up of components. A modifier that alters a value for the next 5 minutes, would have a timer component which can trigger an event to the modifier ("remove yourself"). In the same logic, a timer component could send an event to apply a +1 to health every 10 seconds. Combining with the first mentioned timer component, this would lead to a modifier which gives a +1 to the health every 10 seconds for the next 5 minutes.

I'm still working out the details, but this can go very far. Timer component could ie. trigger events to create gfx effects...

I'll write more about this as soon as I know more myself :)

Have fun,
Stefan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home